When your garage door gets off track, your first instinct is probably the same as many homeowners — try to troubleshoot and fix the problem yourself! While your intentions are well-meaning, repairing garage door rollers and tracks isn’t usually a “DIY” type of task. Even if you are handy around the house, it is both safer and more affordable to let garage door repair experts handle the job. That’s why we will always recommend you give us a call for professional garage door off track repair in Buffalo and the surrounding New York region. Below, we’ll discuss what goes wrong when a garage door gets off track, why it happens, and more.
What Goes Wrong
One of the most frustrating issues a homeowner can face is when a garage door gets off track. As most of us know, garage door tracks keep the door secure while it opens and closes. When door rollers are on the track, they ensure the upward and downward movement of the door is smooth and safe. However, when the rollers go off the track, the garage door becomes unsafe and unusable for operators.
As mentioned above, this is not only a major inconvenience, but it also becomes a safety issue for your home. This is why 716 Garage Door Repair Services offers 24/7 emergency services in Buffalo and western New York!
Why Does It Happen?
There are four main reasons garage doors get off track: a damaged track, poor lubrication, poor anchors, broken cables, or a misaligned track. We’ll take a look at each of these issues below:
• Damaged Track – It stands to reason that, if your track is significantly damaged or dented, your door will probably go off track. If the dents or damage is minor, you can “DIY” it by pounding them out with a rubber mallet. If the damage is more serious, we’d recommend hiring a professional garage repair technician to ensure the structural integrity of your garage door track is restored.
• Insufficient Lubrication – You need to make sure your tracks are lubricated properly so that door rollers can smoothly run along the track. Give us a call if you want more information about how to apply lubricant to your track.
• Poor Anchors – If your garage doors have gotten off track, one of the first things you want to check is to see if the tracks are correctly anchored on the garage wall. If the brackets securing the track have become loose, you’ll want to tighten the bolts on the bracket with a wrench or similar tool.
• Broken Cables – Your garage door might have gotten off track for the simple reason that your garage door cables have broken. The numerous strands of galvanized wire, called a lift cable, should be attached to the bottom corner of the door on one end, and then routed to the counterbalance spring on the other. If the cable breaks, you have issues. Give us a call for garage door cable repair for cases like these.
• Improper Alignment – If the track is completely out of alignment, your entire door might come off (see images), the same way a train will crash if it runs out of railroad. We’d recommend using a level to make sure your tracks are aligned properly. However, things get more complicated when discussing the specifics of horizontal garage door tracks and roll-up doors. This is why we will always recommend giving the garage door off track repair specialists of Buffalo a call (that’s us!).
Don’t Try It At Home!
We want to be clear here: it’s a very bad and dangerous idea to attempt to repair your garage door spring by yourself. Even if you are a handyman or woman, professional experience is always recommended for safety issues. There are a lot of moving parts and it’s not something a five-minute YouTube video can fully explain. There are many types of garage doors, each with their own set of considerations you need to be aware of. So don’t go try fixing it — leave it to the professionals who offer quality and affordable prices!
Request Your Quote
716 Garage Door Repair is Buffalo’s choice for all things related to garage doors. Whether you are looking to replace or repair, we’ve got you covered with expertise, affordable rates, and a lifetime warranty on all work performed. What’s more, we’ll waive our service fee if we can’t complete the work properly! Request your quote today!